Sunday, November 24, 2013


Piazza S. Lorenzo in Lucina
1916/18 Marcello Piacentini (1881/1960)
Originally known as CINEMA-TEATRO CORSO
Piacentini designed it originally in a style influenced by the Vienna Secession style but he had to change it into a more "Roman" style during the First World War because critics considered it unpatriotic
It was the first building ever to be built entirely in reinforced steel in Rome and it did not have pillars or columns to support the two upper galleries 
The theater had a capacity of 800 seats and, with the galleries, the capacity was 1,300 seats 
"The entire interior was soberly decorated with stuccos with very soft lines and with bas-reliefs by Arturo Dazzi and Alfredo Biagini. Particularly interesting was the solution of the façade, set on a continuous surface marked by four windows connected by a headband with a delicate frieze in stucco. At the sides the building was completed by two small bow windows while the ground attack was marked by a striking glass and metal canopy supported by chains. Once completed, the project aroused very negative reactions and at the end of a long controversy Piacentini was prescribed substantial changes to the façade" (Piero Ostilio Rossi)
It has been recently modified in a very invasive way and it has become the biggest Louis Vitton store in Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment