Tuesday, August 18, 2015


Gate by Jacopo Barozzi aka Vignola (1507/73) moved here from its original location on the Sacred Way
Entering it is possible to see the remains of buildings with vaults not yet studied that perhaps had functions of substructure

Segment of the aqueduct that connected the Celium Hill with the Palatine Hill built by Domitian (81/96) in continuation of that of Nero (54/68) from the Spes Vetus (Porta Maggiore) to the Celium Hill, in turn a continuation of the Aqueduct of Claudius (41/54) 69 km (43 miles) long from the valley of the Aniene River

Known as Septizodium or according to some archaeologists, Septizonium
It was the monumental façade of a fountain-nymphaeum adorned with columns to impress those who came from the Appian Way
Demolished in about 1588 by order of Pope Sixtus V Peretti (1585/90) to obtain building materials with which to construct various buildings, including the Sistine Chapel in the Basilica of S. Maria Maggiore, elements of the façade of S. Girolamo degli Illirici and the Fountains of the Crossroads of the Quattro Fontane

Structures of considerable height at the front end facing the Circus Maximus that had functions of substructure, to expand artificially the hill and create a platform to support the new wing of the palace at the time of Septimius Severus (193/211)
Though they are grand structures, they give only a faint idea of what was to be the grandeur of the original massive building

Bathhouse from the time of Domitian (81/96)
The upper part of the building, the area of the baths, was built in later times, among which the most important is that of Septimius Severus (193/211), as shown by the marks on the bricks
The construction continued until the time of Maxentius (306/312)

Among the Severan Baths and the Domus Augustana
Behind the building there is a cylindrical structure located towards the Circus Maximus, perhaps a latrine
Here Septimius Severus built a new imperial stage to watch the races of the Circus Maximus

160 x 48 m (525 x 157 feet)
At the two ends small semi-circular buildings, maybes fountains or terminal elements of the spina, the central dividing line
Originally there was a two-story portico restored in the Hadrian's period (117/138)
At the center along the east side there was the imperial box
Maybe it was the Viridarium, green space for rest and walking, and maybe even the Hippodromus Palatii
It was crossed by a wide boulevard ring from which paths and flower beds branched and it was decorated with statues and marbles
Here were found most of the statues now in the Museo Palatino
The small oval enclosure is perhaps dating back to the time of Theodoric (king of Italy 493/526) and may never have been used as an amphitheater, for gladiatorial games had been abolished for about 80 years at the time

No comments:

Post a Comment