Friday, April 8, 2016



Founded in 1830 by the will of Antonio Muñoz (1884/1960) in the Pantanella Palace in Piazza Bocca della Verità and moved here in 1952
In 1990 the property was transferred from the Italian government to the municipality of Rome
It was closed from 1987 until 2002, when it was partially reopened. The new exhibit is currently being completed
The works of painting, sculpture and applied arts have primarily an iconographic and documentary relevance regarding the topography and the history of Rome
It houses, especially in the storage rooms, about 40,000 works including: about 800 paintings by artists working in Rome in the seventeenth and eighteenth century, about 1,700 paintings by artists of the nineteenth and twentieth century and about 1,100 sculptures from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century
In the entrance sculptures by Francesco Mochi (1580/1654):
“St. John the Baptist baptizing Jesus” 1633/44 originally sculpted for the church S. Giovanni dei Fiorentini, but never put in place. It then ended up in front of the Milvian Bridge, where there are copies since 1980
“St. Peter” and “St. Paul” 1635/38 for St. Paul outside the Walls. After having been rejected, they were placed in the Porta del Popolo, where there are now copies
1804 designed by Cosimo Morelli but maybe completed by Giuseppe Valadier with “Eighteen columns of Oriental granite” from the Portico of Caligula in the area of the Ospedale S. Spirito (Hospital of the Holy Spirit)
There are ancient statues and it is decorated with fine stucco reliefs with the “Myth of Achilles and Iliad” by Luigi Acquisti (1745/1823)
On the landing of the first floor important sarcophagus with “Endymion dying” about 250 AD

No comments:

Post a Comment