Monday, May 21, 2018


Founded in the eleventh century by the prefect Giovanni Crescenzio and his wife Rogata as written on an inscription in the church
It was made from a fornix of the Theater of Pompey perhaps testified by its ancient name in Satro corrupted form from the Latin word theatrum
It was consecrated again in 1306
At the beginning of the sixteenth century it was the national church of the English people in Rome
It was granted to the Confraternity of the Booksellers in 1601 and rebuilt in 1680 at the behest of the Florentine bookseller and printer Zenobio Masotti (1606/88)
It was restored in 1858 by Gaetano Bonoli
In 1969 it was deconsecrated and used as a warehouse
It was reopened in 1982 and restored in the years 1990/93
S. Barbara was born in Turkey to a pagan father and a Christian mother. When she decided to convert, in 306, the father reported her, and she was sentenced to death by beheading
It was her father himself who beheaded her, after a couple of days of torture. As soon as she was decapitated, lightning struck the man, killing him
S. Barbara is therefore patron saint of everything that has to do with fire and explosives

1680 by Giuseppe Passeri (1654/1714), pupil of Carlo Maratta
Restored in 1858
Statue “S. Barbara” by Ambrogio Parisi
In the vault fresco “Glory of St. Barbara” by Luigi Garzi (1638/1721) from Pistoia, a pupil of Andrea Sacchi and later influenced by Carlo Maratta

“One can consider Luigi Garzi as a not so well known artist, parallel to the action carried out by Carlo Maratta, but with interesting differences and a more prolonged participation in the eighteenth century. (...) He shows a Frenchified style, original for his time, supported in particular by Poussin and more generally by the contemporary works of transalpine cousins. The stately results of this art style, however, is tempered by his cute miniatures details, anticipating similar results already fully belonging to the eighteenth century” (Giancarlo Sestieri)

On the right triptych “Madonna and Child with Sts. John the Baptist and the Archangel Michael” 1453 signed by Leonardo da Roma
Four frescoes on the walls:
On the right “St. Teresa” and “St. Anthony of Padua”, on the left “St. Philip Neri” and “St. Francis of Assisi” 1682 by Luigi Garzi
In the vault “Four Evangelists” and “Faith, Hope, Charity and Love of God” second half of 1800s by Domenico Monacelli (active in the nineteenth century)
“Wooden cross” of the XIV century inserted, with an interesting Baroque style, in the center of the fresco “Madonna and St. John at the foot of the Cross” by Luigi Garzi
Right wall “Nine brothers presented to the Virgin Mary by the Sts. Barbara, Thomas Aquinas and John of God” seventeenth-century painting maybe by the French Claude Mellan (1598/1688)

“Apparition of Christ to S. Barbara” and oval in the vault of the presbytery “Eternal Father” by Luigi Garzi
Beautiful seventeenth-century front panel of the altar made out of rare stones
On the left “Tomb and bust of Zenobio Masotti” the patron and builder of the church
Lunette “S. Barbara decapitated by his father” by Domenico Monacelli

Altarpiece “Madonna and Sts. Peter, Paul, Jerome, Thomas and John of God” maybe by Francesco Ragusa (1591/1665)
Altarpiece “S. Saba” by G.B. Brughi (1660/1730), pupil of Baciccio

No comments:

Post a Comment