Sunday, September 1, 2019


Via S. Francesco a Ripa 20

1123 Callistus II (1119/24) with the name of Sts. Forty Martyrs of Sebaste

According to Christian tradition, the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste were Christian Roman soldiers who refused to recant their religion and were left freezing to death in the year 320, during the persecution of Licinius (306/324)

It was rebuilt in 1486 and restored in 1608

Rebuilt 1744/47 by Giuseppe Sardi (1680/1753) with new dedication on the FAƇADE to St. Paschal Baylon (1540/92) the Spanish saint protector of spinsters. The church is in fact also known as the church of spinsters

St. Paschal Baylon is also the patron saint of pastry chefs, and of women married to men who encountered difficulties in fulfilling their conjugal duties
For this reason perhaps the legend has it that a woman who wanted to awaken the dormant passion in her husband prayed St. Paschal Baylon and she dreamed him recommending a very thick cream, made with sugar, eggs and Marsala wine, which would have restored sexual desire
The thick cream was first named S. Bayon, then Sanbaion and finally Zabaione or Eggnog in English

The church belongs to the Franciscan Order of Friars Minor Spanish

“A significant variation of the longitudinal type is that which shapes here the main nave as a hall, rounding the corners. The common aspiration is to create an illusory perspective depth with a studied arrangement of light sources” (Paolo Portoghesi)

VAULT “Glory of St. Peter of Alcantara” and DOME “Glory of St. Paschal” about 1754 by Matteo Pannaria

“Martyrdom of the Forty Martyrs” by Arturo Tosi (1871/1956)

Altarpiece “Holy Family” by Francisco Preciado (1713/89), a pupil of Sebastiano Conca

No comments:

Post a Comment