Tuesday, October 1, 2019


Piazza delle Coppelle 72b

Mentioned for the first time by the sources in 1195

It is called alle coppelle (at the barrels) from the name of the wooden barrels with a capacity of about 5 liters (1.3 gallons) made in this area until the sixteenth century

From 1300s to 1500s it was also known as S. Salvatore de Pietate

Restored about 1738/43 by Carlo De Dominicis (1696/1758)

“In his first two decades of activity De Dominicis fully adhered to the Rococo style, but in 1743 it seems he underwent a change of inclination because the simple façade 'as a temple' of the small church of S. Salvatore alle Coppelle in its cold classicism is remarkably prophetic of the imminent neoclassical style. It's not to be excluded, on the other hand, the possibility that the appearance of the church was changed in a later but not documented restoration” (John Varriano - Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani Treccani)

Restored again 1858/60 by Giacomo Monaldi (1819/1905) and in 1915 when the iconostasis was added

“The formal façade that we see today was the result of 'corrections' made ​​in the purist style in the general restoration of 1858/60, similar to what was done in those years at S. Maria dell'Umiltà (in both cases misleading art historians). Giacomo Monaldi (...) had built a few years before S. Giovanni della Malva in Trastevere, whose façade has a pattern almost identical to this one” (Federico Antonio Caiola)

About 1195, the period of Pope Celestine III Orsini (1191/98). The bell dates back to 1664

On the outside wall of the church there is perhaps the most ancient inscription in vernacular Italian: CHIA DEL S. SALVATORE DELLA PIETÀ ALER DELLE CVPELLE 1195. The font, however, appears modern and some scholars believe, with good arguments that it was made during the eighteenth-century restoration

On the outside wall of the church there is also a “Marble mail box” of 1749

It was used to post news of illness of guests in hotels and inns in Rome. The Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament and of the Divine Perseverance, which was approved in 1663, had its headquarters here and worked for two centuries precisely to help the sick pilgrims

Romanian National Church of Byzantine Catholic Rite since 1914

Left wall of the entrance room “Funerary memory of Filippo Boschetti, lawyer of the Roman Rota (the highest appellate tribunal of the Roman Catholic Church)” 1740 maybe by Carlo De Dominicis

Fresco “Virgin Mary with Jesus on her lap” maybe by the school of Antonio Aquili aka Antoniazzo Romano (about 1435-40/1508), who had his own workshop and house in this area of ​​Rome

TEMPLON (Iconostasis)
Painted in 1915 by Alessandro Pigna (1862/1919)

“The iconostasis, which separates the nave from the chancel area was added after the assignment to the Romanian clergy, around 1915, and painted by Alessandro Pigna who illustrated the canonical subjects with academic expertise, enlivened by hints of Art Nouveau” (Antonio Federico Caiola)

“Tomb of Cardinal George Spinola, Bishop of Palestrina, D. 1739” 1744 masterpiece by Bernardino Ludovisi (about 1713/49)

No comments:

Post a Comment