Sunday, May 24, 2020


Piazza di S. Giovanni in Laterano

1743 Ferdinando Fuga (1699/1782) for Benedict XIV Lambertini (1740/58)
Partial reconstruction of the ancient triclinium erected by St. Leo III (795/816) as the dining room of the Patriarch├Čo (Patriarchate palace)

“Jesus and eleven apostles” with on the left “Jesus gives the keys to St. Peter and the banner to Constantine” and on the right “St. Peter offers the bishops’ pallium to Leo III and the banner to Charlemagne” 1743 by Pier Leone Ghezzi (1674/1755)

Ghezzi used very few original elements but executed it as a copy of the original, prudently documented by Pier Paolo Cristofari before being destroyed. He had tried to move it of 180 degrees without success
It was originally executed at the time of the institution of the Holy Roman Empire by Charlemagne on the year 800

No comments:

Post a Comment