Wednesday, December 30, 2015


Built by incorporating the existing villa of Cardinal Rodolfo Pio da Carpi, later property of the Sforza family and known as Villa Sforza
Cardinal Francesco Barberini bought it from the Sforza family in 1625 and Carlo Maderno (1556/1629) began the construction of the palace in the years 1625/29 by
After the death of Carlo Maderno, Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598/1680) took over the direction of the work in the years 1629/1633 and retained the original design conceiving, however, the central hall, the windowed loggia and the large square staircase
Francesco Borromini (1599/1667) participated in the works designing two windows in the central part of the top floor, the side wings, some decorative elements and the SPIRAL STAIRCASE
The actual Borromini's contribution to the works led by Bernini, however, is still the subject of academic debate
“The derivation from the windows in the attic of Maderno's façade of St. Peter's is obvious, but the ears-shaped wavy streamers attached to them, as well as the segmented upper part with ends pointing outward with an angle of 45 degrees are characteristic of Borromini's dynamic interpretation of details. Here it is already possible to see the creative force that imparts an inexplicable strength to any shape and configuration” (Rudolf Wittkower)
RAILING 1864 Francesco Azzurri (1831/1901) with TELAMONS by Adamo Tadolini (1788/1868)
The FOUNTAIN in front of the palace is by Francesco Azzurri
In the area of the building the ancient TEMPLE OF QUIRINUS was situated
At the end of the rear ramp “Ruined Bridge” by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and “Bertel Thorvaldsen Monument” (1770/1844) who had his study on the top floor of the former theater from 1822 to 1834
Top floor home of the ISTITUTO ITALIANO DI NUMISMATICA (Italian Institute of Coins)

Villa Savorgnan de Brazzà
1936 Gustavo Giovannoni (1873/1947) and Marcello Piacentini (1881/1960)
Under the villa ruins of rooms of the second century AD in bricks including MITHRAEUM with fresco (the only one painted in Rome together with the one of S. Prisca) with “Mithra slaying the bull” and smaller panels on the sides with scenes of the god's myth

At n°18 in Via Barberini former BARBERINI THEATREThe original theater built in 1634 with a façade by Pietro Da Cortona was destroyed and rebuilt in 1932 by Marcello Piacentini using some original architectural elements

No comments:

Post a Comment