Saturday, December 24, 2016


1732/34 most important early work of Ferdinando Fuga (1699/1782) for Clement XII Corsini (1730/40)
The building was financed with the proceeds of the lottery and it replaced the Palazzo di Vercelli of the Ferrero family from Piedmont where the Cardinal of Vercelli Guido Luca Ferrero resided
On the façade of Palazzo di Vercelli there were originally frescoes painted in 1517 by Polidoro da Caravaggio (about 1495/1543)
“Fifteenth century echoes are in the façade, reconstructed with a sense of balance and elegance typically Tuscan. Fuga carries out a research for formal purity and rational measure” (Carlo Bertelli, Giuliano Briganti, Antonio Giuliano)
“The easy virtuosity of Fuga resulted in this first phase of his career in a very refined style with a touch of Tuscan sophistication, so different from the skillful liveliness of Valvassori and from the Roman sense of the grandeur of Salvi” (Rudolf Wittkower)
It was the seat of the Tribunale della Sacra Consulta (Tribunal of the Holy See)
From 1874 it was the seat of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and since 1922 of the Ministry of the Colonies, which in 1937 was renamed Ministry of Italian Africa
In 1923 the Colonial Museum was inaugurated inside the building
Since 1955 is the SEAT OF THE CORTE COSTITUZIONALE (Supreme Court)
The original color of the FAÇADE was baby blue, common to many Roman eighteenth-century buildings
On the pediment of the portal “Justice” and “Religion” by Francesco Maini
On the side portals “Trophies” by Filippo Della Valle (1698/1768)
On the balustrade above “Group with two allegorical figures of Fame and Corsini coat of arms” by the Neapolitan Paolo Benaglia (?/1739)
In the COURTYARD splendid double staircase inspired by the exterior staircase of the Palazzo del Gallo of Roccagiovine by the flamboyant Alessandro Specchi
1) Ceilings 1737/44 by Antonio Bicchierari for Clement XII
2) “Works of Pius VI” and decorations on the ceilings 1787/90 by Bernardino Nocchi (1741/1812) for Pius VI Braschi (1775/99). Bernardino Nocchi also painted the ornamentations that framed the existing paintings by Bicchierai
3) Paintings with floral and narrative subjects to celebrate industrial progress 1870/74 by Cecrope Barilli (1839/1911), Domenico Bruschi (1840/1910) and Annibale Brugnoli (1843/1915). Because of this intervention, most of the previous decorative cycles were destroyed
“In the layout of the rooms, the architect was able to overcome all the difficulties determined by the site plan with intelligence, also exploiting the wedge-shaped areas” (Simona Sperindei)
In the THIRD ANTECHAMBER “Lagoon of Venice” by Achille Vertunni (1826/97)
In the FOURTH ANTECHAMBER “Portrait of Queen Margherita of Savoy” by Guglielmo De Sanctis (1829/1911)
In the STUDIO OF THE PRESIDENT “May” by Giacomo Balla (1871/1958)
In STUDY OF THE VICE-PRESIDENT “Battle” by Giovanni Fattori (1825/1908) and two “Portrait of Girl” by Jean Baptiste Greuze (1725/1805)
In the RED LOUNGE beautiful painting influenced by Caravaggio “Magdalene with the crown of thorns” first half of the seventeenth century by Bartolomeo Cavarozzi (1587/1625)
In the GREEN LOUNGE “Head of boy” in marble by Domenico Trentacoste (1859/1933) from Palermo. At the center of the room “Table with inlaid marble” of the sixteenth century from Florence
In the ANTECHAMBER OF THE STUDY OF A JUDGE huge painting “Landscape with lake” by Achille Vertunni

No comments:

Post a Comment