Largo degli Alicorni 21
Founded, according to tradition, in the year 754 by St. Boniface
It certainly existed in the year 854
Rebuilt in the twelfth century
Restored in the thirteenth century when here were moved the relics of St. Magnus from Fondi. On this occasion the church was also dedicated to St. Magnus
Restored 1754 by Carlo Murena (1713/64)
National Church of the Frisians, the Germanic people of the Netherlands
Outside on the left SCALA SANTA (Holy Stairs) with 35 steps
Adjacent to the church was the Schola of the Frisians where the German emperor Henry IV stayed in 1084 while besieging Gregory VII (1073/85) in Castel Sant'Angelo
He retired when he learned of the arrival of Robert Guiscard and his 36,000 Normans, including many Muslim warriors, who saved the pope but put Rome on fire for three days in the city
They caused destruction and death worse than anything the barbarians had ever done in the past or that the lansquenets would do in 1527
MAIN ALTAR
“Archangel Michael appears to Sts. Gregory and Magnus” by Nicolò Ricciolini (1687/1772)
LEFT NAVE
“Grave of Anton Raphael Mengs” (1728/79) by Vincenzo Pacetti (1746/1820) with, on the altar, “Sts. Peter and Paul” by Ludovico Stern (1709/77)
No comments:
Post a Comment