Monday, December 16, 2013

CONSERVATORY OF THE DIVINE PROVIDENCE OR OF THE SPINSTERS

CONSERVATORIO DELLA DIVINA PROVVIDENZA O DELLE ZITELLE
1705/28 Girolamo Theodoli (1677/1766) and executed by his pupil Egidio Marescotti as a residence for the poor and honest Roman unmarried girls, in order to "remove them from the danger of the world and preserve their modesty, as long as one could find the opportunity to have them married or entering a nunnery"
From 1682 the spinsters benefited from a tax paid by the merchants and boatmen of the nearby Port of Ripetta
Restored in 1986 by Mario Moretti, who transformed the building of luxury hotel RESIDENCE RIPETTA
S. Maria del Rosario nel Conservatorio della Divina Provvidenza
St. Mary of the Rosary in the Conservatory of the Divine Providence
Deconsecrated - 1717/28 Girolamo Theodoli and executed by Egidio Marescotti
It was the church of the Conservatory and it is now used as a conference room with the not quite pertinent name of SALONE BERNINI
It doesn't not have a fa├žade but the large window at the top left part of the building gives away its presence from Via di Ripetta
"An interesting example of architecture of the early eighteenth century in Rome. (...) The main altar is qualified with a luministic dramatic effect, produced by a hidden side window: unlike the entire nave dominated by the Tuscan order, in the altar predominates the Ionic order of the pilasters and the Composite order of the capitals of the columns" (Simonetta Ceccarelli)
On the wall facing the street "Bust of Pope Innocent XI Odescalchi (1676/89)" by Bernardo Adrizzoia
VAULT
Fresco "Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes symbol of Divine Providence" 1726 by Giacomo Triga (1674/1746), a pupil of Benedetto Luti

No comments:

Post a Comment