Sunday, October 18, 2015

APARTMENT HOUSE OF THE COOPERATIVE THE TURTLE

PALAZZINA DELLA COOPERATIVA LA TARTARUGA


1951/54 Ludovico Quaroni (1911/87) and Carlo Aymonino (1926/2010)

Some aesthetic and functional innovations of this building stand out for their originality, as the extensive use of brown bricks in the fa├žades or the porch on the ground floor accessible to vehicles

“The desire to transfer in the building types for the middle-class some of the main themes of the architectural research related to the Association for Organic Architecture was already apparent in the Roman buildings for apartments by Mario Ridolfi, Bruno Zevi and Luigi Piccinato. (...) This project by Ludovico Quaroni, in collaboration with the young Carlo Aymonino, moves in the same direction, fitting in that 'neo-realist' vein which with the Neighborhood INA-Casa Tiburtino IV (to which they both participated) had its most radical expression. The open structure, the articulation of the plan and of the volume, the force of the overall image, the particular use of hard and rough materials, which anticipates in some way some of the characters of the so-called 'Brutalism', are the issues around which the architectural design of this building was planned” (Piero Ostilio Rossi)

No comments:

Post a Comment