Sunday, October 25, 2015

PIUS IV SMALL PALACE

PALAZZINA DI PIO IV


1561 Pirro Ligorio (about 1513/83) for Pius IV Medici (1559/65)

Pirro Ligorio adapted the fa├žade to a pre-existing porch of about 1525, maybe by Jacopo Tatti aka Jacopo Sansovino (1486/1570) and to the FOUNTAIN OF THE AQUA VIRGO 1552/53 maybe by Bartolomeo Ammannati (1511/92) with a hydraulic system by Jacopo Barozzi aka Vignola (1507/73)

The building is also known as PALAZZO BORROMEO as Pius IV gave it to his nephew (his sister's son) St. Charles Borromeo, who had a second floor built and gave it in turn to his sister Anna. After Anna's marriage with a member of the Colonna family, the building passed to them

Now it is the seat of the ITALIAN EMBASSY TO THE HOLY SEE

No comments:

Post a Comment