Monday, July 6, 2015



Built for Alexander VI Borgia (1492/1503), and later rebuilt for Pius IV Medici (1559/65) who employed in it a guardian who was a guide as well

S. Pius V Ghislieri (1566/72) enlarged the garden and entrusted it to the botanic expert Michele Mercati

After a period of neglect Alexander VII Chigi (1655/67) transformed it into one of the major botanical gardens in Europe, using for it the Acqua Paola aqueduct which Paul V Borghese (1605/21) had built from Bracciano to the Janiculum Hill, restoring the ancient Aqueduct of Trajan

In 1820 the Botanical Garden was moved in the garden of Palazzo Salviati in Via della Lungara and in 1873 in the garden of the former convent of S. Lorenzo in Via Panisperna to gather all the scientific institutes in the area of the Interior Ministry on Viminal Hill

In 1883 had its final home here in the garden of Palazzo Corsini when the property was transferred to the Italian State

It is one of the Museums of the Department of Environmental Biology of the University of Rome La Sapienza

Extension of 12 hectares (about 30 acres)

It houses over 3,500 plant species divided into sections:

Palm trees, Bamboo thickets, Valley of ferns, Orangery room, Roses, Japanese Garden, Aquatic Plants, Garden of the simple for medicinal plants and Garden of the aromas


Exhibition Greenhouse for temporary exhibitions

Tropical Greenhouse with constant humidity of 80%

Corsini Greenhouse built at the end of the nineteenth century for succulents plants with two pools of black marble probably ancient in which it seems that Queen Christina of Sweden bathed

At the top of the hill the original tree structure has been kept, left as the Mediterranean evergreen forest known as Bosco Romano

From the clearings among the secular examples of oaks and sycamores (about 350/400 years old) one can enjoy fantastic views of the city

Below, in the direction of the palace, collection of conifers and near the gate of the palace reconstruction of a small California desert

In this lower area there are an Australian araucaria, an American redwood some Florida taxodium distichum and an oriental sycamore of the fifteenth century

The staircase by Ferdinando Fuga (1699/1782), the FOUNTAIN OF THE MERMEN and the big niche up against the top of the hill are the only preserved eighteenth-century decorations of the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment