Sunday, March 5, 2017


Built at the end of the fourteenth century as home of the cardinals of S. Maria in Trastevere
Restorations 1434 and 1505
Rebuilt 1618 by Orazio Torriani (about 1601/about 1657) for the Benedictines Friars
Restored again in the years 1854 and 1937
It was built on the site of the martyrdom of St. Callistus:
According to Christian tradition, he was found where the adjacent Church of St. Callistus is now, during the persecutions of Alexander Severus (222/235), he was thrown from a window and then drowned in a well, still preserved in the garden of the convent
The palace is one of the properties of the Vatican with extraterritorial status, meaning the state of being exempt from the jurisdiction of local law
It is now home to the following Catholic organizations that are part of or are directly linked with the Holy See:
Pontifical Council for the Laity
Pontifical Council for the Family
Secretary General of Caritas Internationalis
Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace
International Catholic Charismatic Renewal Services

No comments:

Post a Comment