Wednesday, April 26, 2017


1586/89 Domenico Fontana (1543/1607) for Sixtus V (1585/90) to replace the old palace where the popes lived for 1,000 years known as Patriarchìo (Patriarchate)
It was converted into a hospital and then in archives
Restored for Gregory XVI Cappellari (1831/46) by Luigi Poletti (1792/1869)
Since 1844 there was the Gregorian Profane Museum, since 1854 the Pio-Christian Museum and since 1926 the Ethnological Missionary Museum. These museums were later transferred to the Vatican
Since 1929 it has the privilege of extra-territoriality and since 1967 it is the seat of the ROME VICARIATE
“The results of the operations of Domenico Fontana, although dictated more by pragmatic spirit, than from an original artistic vision, in fact exerted a strong influence on the visual culture of the Baroque artists, for the evidence of those values​of spatial dynamism, of open geometry, born from the overlap of a new programmatic structure over the complex fabric of the old city. (...) One joint as that of St. John Lateran (...) for the presence of ancient monuments and alignments dictated by the survival of ruins, turned out to be not so much a square as a 'space' rich in multiple perspective indications, so much to propose a new relationship between the viewer and the architecture” (Paolo Portoghesi)
On 28 July 1993 part of the façade of the building and the side entrance of the Basilica of St. John Lateran were severely damaged by a car bomb
Even if the stability of the façade was damaged, it was possible to repair the damage quickly. This attack was seen as a warning to the Pope, who shortly before had spoken in Sicily against the Mafia
From 1987 on the first floor there is the
Museo Storico Vaticano
Historical Museum of the Vatican
Frescoes with cycle “Glory of Sixtus V” and “Stories of the Old and New Testaments” executed under the direction of Giovanni Guerra (1544/1618) by several late Mannerist painters including:
Cesare Nebbia (1536/1614), G.B. Ricci (about 1550/1624), Ventura Salimbeni (1568/1613), Andrea Lilio (about 1555/1632), Ferraù Fenzone (1562/1645), Paris Nogari (about 1536/1601) e Matthijs Brill (1550/83)
Orientation and the dimensions of the hall of the popes of the Patriarchate where the Lateran Pacts signed on February 11, 1929
There is still the “Coffered wooden ceiling of 1589

No comments:

Post a Comment