Sunday, May 18, 2014


Palazzo Senatorio
Various civil buildings built over the Fortress of the Corsi family that had been built, in turn, over the ruins of the Tabularium, the State Archive of ancient Rome
It was renovated in 1299 and it kept until the sixteenth century the appearance of a fortified medieval public building
1582/1605 by Giacomo Della Porta (1533/1602) with his collaborator Girolamo Rainaldi (1570/1655) who adapted the original design by Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475/1564). The only remaining parts that were built during Michelangelo's lifetime are the "Gateway" to the assembly room and the "Outside stairs", two converging ramps built in the years 1547/54 without the canopy on two columns which was in the original project by Michelangelo
1578/82 Martino Longhi the Elder (1534/91) in place of the medieval and higher than that of Michelangelo's project, on top of the cross in gold leaf and antique statue "Goddess-Minerva Rome"
CLOCK installed in 1806, formerly on the façade of the church of S. Maria in Aracoeli
To the left of the building TOWER OF MARTIN V Colonna (1417/31) about 1427 towards S. Maria in Aracoeli and TOWER OF NICHOLAS V Parentucelli (1447/55) 1453 towards the Forum
To the right of the palace TOWERS OF BONIFACE IX Tomacelli (1389/1404). The overhead passage was built in 1940
ENTRANCE HALL of Sixtus IV Della Rovere (1471/84) 1477
HALL OF THE CARROCCIO (Cart carrying flags during battle) with an inscription commemorating the gift of the Carroccio, from Frederick II to the Roman people, taken from the Milanese of the Northern League in the battle of Cortenuova in 1237
HALL OF THE FLAGS or OF THE BOARD 1847, so named for the banners of the fourteen districts of the Civic Guard
1573/77 grand salon of the palace, formerly seat of the court of the Senator. From the postwar period it is known as AULA GIULIO CESARE (Julius Caesar Hall)
In the floor "Five Roman mosaics with floral and marine scenes" of the second century AD at the center of the modern checkerboard marble floor white and gray. They were taken from various rooms of a Roman villa in the area of Casal Morena on the Via Anagnina
Paintings on the ceiling and frieze "History of Ancient Rome" 1929/30 by Eugenio Cisterna (1862/1933) from Genzano
"Statue of Julius Caesar" and "Statue of Roman Admiral" dating back to Trajan's period (98/117)
In the outside wall remains of the 1299 loggia from the time of Boniface VIII Caetani (1294/1303)
Capitoline Museum of busts
Collection of busts of Italian celebrities originally displayed in the Pantheon by Antonio Canova:
"Pius VII" Chiaramonti (1800/23) 1807 and "Domenico Cimarosa" 1808 by Antonio Canova (1757/1822)
"One is surprised by how such weight of matter is transformed by the power of art and marble seems swollen for secret sounds, light, transparent, open to interpretation, like those eyes lost in the faraway distance, on the edge of a lovely melody" (Valentino Martinelli)
"Angelica Kauffmann" 1809 by Paolo Adolfo Kauffmann
"Masaccio", "Lorenzo Ghiberti", "Petrarch" and "Ludovico Ariosto" 1814/15 by Carlo Finelli (1785/1853) from Carrara, belonging to a family of sculptors including the great Giuliano Finelli
"Andrea Mantegna" by Rinaldo Rinaldi (1793/1873)
"Polidoro da Caravaggio" by Francesco Massimiliano Laboureur (1767/1831)
"Arcangelo Corelli" 1713/14 by Angelo De Rossi (1671/1715)
"Camillo Rusconi" by Giuseppe Rusconi (1688/1758) one of Camillo Rusconi's pupils but not related
Two great eighteenth-century Roman artists are represented, the sculptor "Pietro Bracci (1700/73)" 1794/95 the sculptor of the statue of Ocean in the Trevi Fountain and the extraordinary painter "Marco Benefial (1684/1764)" 1781/82 works by Vincenzo Pacetti (1746/1820) also Roman
"Anton Raphael Mengs" 1781 and "Giovanni Pichler" 1792 by the Irish Christopher Hewetson (about 1739/1797)

No comments:

Post a Comment