Saturday, September 9, 2017


Early sixteenth century for the Calcagni family
Mistakenly attributed to Giovanni Lippi aka Nanni di Baccio Bigio (about 1513/68)
The property of the palace passed in 1577 to the Ricci family and they still own it
It was expanded in 1634 with the FAÇADE ON VIA GIULIA
On the FAÇADE ON PIAZZA DE’ RICCI there are traces of frescoes by Polidoro Caldara aka Polidoro da Caravaggio (about 1495/1543) and Maturino da Firenze (?/1528)
It is the only palace, with Palazzo Milesi, where there are remains of the many frescoes that used to adorn the façades of many buildings of Rome at the beginning of the sixteenth century
“Polidoro was an original summoner of the ancient times who proposed a modern interpretation of the spirit of classical Rome and gave rise to a large repertoire of ideas and motifs that had inexhaustible fortune throughout the course of 1500s and found their self-definition as 'martial manner' of painting” (Carlo Bertelli, Giuliano Briganti, Antonio Giuliano)
The frescoes were restored at the end of 1800 by Luigi Fontana (1827/1908) who repainted them copying from seventeenth-century engravings (the added sections were recently removed) and painted second and third floors completely new
In a room on the first floor frescoes “Virtue” of the end of 1500s
The Roman art collector Mario Praz (1896/1982) lived in this palace from 1934 to 1969
St. John in Ayno
Adjacent to Palazzo Ricci with a SMALL RENAISSANCE FAÇADE
It was first mentioned by sources on 1186 as Sancto Johanni in Aginae
There is mystery about the origin of the name, perhaps a reference to the lamb (agnello) that St. John the Baptist is commonly associated with
It was deconsecrated in 1895 and used as a warehouse for building materials
Since 1996 it is owned and seat of the services company Ayno Videoconferencing

No comments:

Post a Comment