Monday, December 12, 2016


Temple of Hadrian transformed in 1695 by Carlo Fontana (1634/1714) and his son Francesco Fontana (1668/1708) in the headquarters of the Dogana di Terra (Land Customs Office) for Innocent XII Pignatelli (1691/1700)
Modified in 1879 by Virginio Vespignani (1808/82) to become the headquarters of the Camera di Commercio e della Borsa Valori (Chamber of Commerce and Stock Exchange)
Renovated in 1928 by Tullio Passarelli (1869/1941) who made the columns more visible
Tempio di Adriano
Temple of Hadrian
Embedded in the Palazzo della Borsa
Dedicated in 145 AD by Antoninus Pius (138/161) to his predecessor Hadrian (117/138)
Temple peripteral octastyle (surrounded by columns of which eight on the front) with thirteen columns on the long sides of which there are eleven left in white marble Proconnesian (Marmara Sea, Turkey) 15 m (49 feet) high on a podium of about 4 m (13 feet)
It was preceded by a staircase at the entrance on the east side that was facing towards the Via Lata, the present Via del Corso
Inside the building there are the remains of the coffered vault of the cella, the internal room
Embedded in the base inside the cella “Marble reliefs of provinces subject to Rome” were found, now in the courtyard of the Palace of the Conservatives, in Palazzo Massimo, and in the National Museum of Naples
“The formal and iconographic precedents date back to the ‘nationes’ of Pompey and even before, but conceptually the difference is substantial, because these are not peoples subjected by the victorious emperor, but the reality of the empire that surrounds the prince, and that at his death is symbolically present together with the Roman people, to assist him being accepted among the gods: no longer the Italy of Augustus, but an ecumenical conception of Rome and a first step towards the not so distant granting of the citizenship to anybody living in the provinces” (Francesca de Caprariis and Fausto Zevi)
Around the temple there was maybe a large ARCADED SQUARE of about 100 x 90 m (328 x 295 feet) with columns of yellow marble from Tunisia and on the side facing the Via Lata there was a MONUMENTAL ARCH which contained two reliefs, one now in Palace of the Conservatives and one in Palazzo Torlonia

No comments:

Post a Comment