Saturday, December 30, 2017


1904/08 designed by the engineers Viani and Moretti
Its first name was PONTE GIANICOLENSE so called for its location beneath the Janiculum Hill
It is 106.15 m long (348 feet)
Where the right head of the bridge is now in the seventeenth century lived a witch from Palermo called Giulia Toffana who had concocted the formula for a powerful poison, the so-called acqua toffana (toffana water)
With her 46 female accomplices she used to sell the water to women who wanted to get rid of their husbands and so more than six hundred men died in Rome poisoned by their wives
She was finally discovered and hanged with five of her accomplices in Piazza Campo de' Fiori in 1659

No comments:

Post a Comment