Monday, January 14, 2019


The original church dates back to the fifth century, one of the oldest churches in Rome
It was built, according to tradition, on the Titulus Eusebii, the house of S. Eusebius (about 319/about 357), one of the 43 saints with this name recognized by the Catholic Church
Rebuilt in 1238 for Gregory IX dei Conti di Segni (1227/41)
It was rebuilt again in 1600 by Onorio Longhi (1568/1619)
Restored in the years 1750/59 by Nicolò Picconi

1711 Carlo Stefano Fontana (active 1700/about 1719) son of Carlo Fontana (1634/1714) and brother of Francesco Fontana

BELL TOWER of the time of Honorius III Savelli (1216/27)
Every 17 January for the feast of St. Anthony of Egypt the blessing of the animals takes place in the churchyard, moved here in the twentieth century from the churchyard of the neighboring church of St. Anthony of Egypt for reasons of public order

“Glory of St Eusebius” 1757 by Anton Raphael Mengs (1728/79)
It is one of the first examples of a painting in neoclassical style
The face of one of the angels represented by Mengs is the portrait of the woman he loved

Paintings between the windows by Giuseppe Passeri (1654/1714) pupil of Carlo Maratta

End of 1800s/beginning of 1900s

Designed by Onorio Longhi
On the altar “Madonna and Child” maybe by Pompeo Batoni (1708/87)

Stalls and music stand of walnut carved with grotesque figures in the seventeenth century
To the right “Madonna and Saints” by Baldassare Croce (about 1553/1628)

1588 Domenico Fontana (1543/1607)
It is built with bricks and it features a central fountain
The MONASTERY, to which the cloister belongs, is the seat of the Central Directorate of Health of the State Police
It was the place where one of the first printers in Rome ever operated: it was run in the years 1470/71 by the German Georg Lauer

No comments:

Post a Comment