Saturday, January 6, 2018


Part of an arch is ancient: maybe part of the Bridge of Agrippa, built before 12 BC, or of the AURELIUS or “ANTONINUS” BRIDGE built in 147 AD for Antoninus Pius (138/161) or Caracalla (211/217), who was actually called Marco Aurelius Antoninus
It was restored in the years 366/367 by the prefect Lucius Aurelius Avianus Symmachus under Valentinian (364/375 with Valens and Gratian) and called the Bridge of Valentinian until 589 when a flood of the River Tiber destroyed it
Since then it was called tremulous BRIDGE, BROKEN BRIDGE or GIANICOLENSE BRIDGE
It was rebuilt in 1473/75 maybe by Baccio Pontelli (about 1450/92) for Sixtus IV Della Rovere (1471/84). He incorporated the ruins of the ancient bridge in the new construction and used materials taken from the Colosseum
The bridge was financed with money from the taxes levied on the “public whores” or prostitutes under the control of the church
One of the pillars was restored in 1567 by Matteo Bartolani da Città di Castello (about 1527/about 1598) for Pius IV Medici (1559/65)
In 1998 the parapets were rebuilt according to the original design and the damaged metal walkways added in 1877 were removed
It is 108 m (354 feet) long and 11 m (36 feet) wide
It seems that Sixtus IV had decided to build the bridge because when he was still a cardinal he had lived in the Convent of S. Salvatore in Onda in Via dei Pettinari and so he knew well how the construction of the new bridge would have facilitated communications in this area of ​​Rome
It is the only bridge in Rome constructed between antiquity and the nineteenth century

No comments:

Post a Comment