Tuesday, December 31, 2013


Basin built in 1888
Four nymphs sculpted in 1901:
At the center
"Glaucus fighting a Merman" 1912 all works by the Sicilian Mario Rutelli (1859/1943)
In Greek mythology, the Naiads were the nymphs who lived in rivers and lakes, in fresh water. The nymphs who lived in the salt waters were known as Ocean Nymphs or Nereids, therefore the very attractive nymph of the fountain of the oceans is not really a Naiad
Apparently the face of Glaucus is the portrait of the Roman poet Trilussa, according to the testimony of the great grandson of the artist, the politician, former mayor of Rome, Francesco Rutelli
It is the ending fountain of the ACQUA PIA ANTICA MARCIA aqueduct restored by Luigi Canina (1795/1856) for Pius IX Mastai-Ferretti (1846/78)
"While the Naiads present a model of firmness Art Nouveau style, the Glaucus shows clearly the suggestion exercised on the Palermitan sculptor by the work of Bernini" (Giorgio Muratore)
The first ending fountain of the Acqua Marcia was a meaningless round basin in the area where now is the Obelisk of Dogali: it was inaugurated on September 10, 1870, ten days before the breach of Porta Pia and this did lead to the popular saying: "Acqua Pia, oggi tua domani mia" (Acqua Pia, now yours tomorrow mine) in reference to the end of the temporal power of popes
The nudity of the Naiads created a big scandal, so much that a popular legend has it that Rutelli was forced to change his original plan for Glaucus in the middle: instead of a naked woman and a naked man embraced, now the naked man embraces a fish

No comments:

Post a Comment