Thursday, March 28, 2019

St. MARY IN MONTERONE

S. MARIA IN MONTERONE
Mentioned in the sources for the first time in 1186
Rebuilt in 1682
It was entrusted in 1728 to the Mercedari monks of the Congregation of Holy Mary of Mercy for the ransom of slaves
Restored with the raising of the floor in 1754 maybe by Domenico Gregorini (1692/1777)
Restored again in 1848
The church is located at the center of the area where there was once the STAGNUM AGRIPPAE, an the ancient artificial lake of the Baths of Agrippa

TO THE RIGHT OF THE ENTRANCE
“Tombstone of Giovanni Bazzano” d. 1406 originally embedded in the floor
EIGHT ANCIENT COLUMNS
RIGHT NAVE - ALTAR OF THE SOULS IN PURGATORY
Painting “Assumption” 1830 by Giovanni Gagliardi
AT THE END OF THE RIGHT NAVE - CHAPEL OF St. JOSEPH
Above the altar “Madonna with Child, St. John the Baptist and an Angel” of the end of the seventeenth century
On the right wall “Tomb of Anna Moroni” 1647
TO THE RIGHT OF THE ALTAR
“Memory funeral of John Rinuccini” 1730

MAIN ALTAR
“Sts. Peter Nolasco, Peter Paschasius and two slaves in chains venerating the Virgin Mary and Child” maybe by Pompeo Batoni (1708/87) or of his pupil Gaspare Serenari (1707/59)

TO THE LEFT OF THE ALTAR
“Tomb of Cardinal Stefano Durazzo” 1667, with winged skeleton
AT THE END OF THE LEFT NAVE - CHAPEL OF St. ALPHONSUS MARIA DE' LIGUORI
1848 Pietro Camporese il Giovane (1792/1873)
Above the altar “Stories of St. Alphonsus” 1848, on the right “St. Alphonsus in ecstasy in front of the Virgin Mary” and on the left “St. Alphonsus gives the rule to the Redemptorists” by Donato De Vivo
On the left “Tomb of Vincenzo Campanari” 1858

BUILDING OF THE CONVENT OF S. MARIA IN MONTERONE
To the right of the church
1735 Francesco Bianchi for the brothers Mercedari, with bizarre and interesting decoration on the fa├žade

No comments:

Post a Comment