Sunday, March 3, 2019

St. MARY OF THE SEVEN PAINS

S. MARIA DEI SETTE DOLORI
1643/49 by Francesco Borromini (1599/1667) helped by Antonio Del Grande (about 1625/79) the architects also of part of the CONVENT (fa├žade - chapel and vestibule) for Camilla Savelli Virginia-Farnese, completed only in 1667 by Francesco Contini (1599/1669)
“Despite the difference in the plant, it is in a sense a simplified version of S. Carlo Quattro Fontane although, above the cornice, the comparison does not hold. This project comprised possibilities that were further developed in the Church of Propaganda Fide” (Rudolf Wittkower)
“In Borromini's language the theme of plastic and linear continuity between the elements of the architecture gains such importance as to place some of the works of the master close to the logic of Gothic architecture” (Paolo Portoghesi)
INTERIOR OF THE CHURCH
Repainted and restored in 1845

LEFT ALTAR
Altarpiece “St. Augustine” by Carlo Maratta (1625/1713)

CONVENT
Painting “Our Lady of Sorrows with angels and symbols of the Passion” by Marco Benefial (1684/1764)
In 2009 the convent was reconverted into the Hotel Donna Camilla

No comments:

Post a Comment