Friday, November 13, 2020



Gregory IV (827/844) built the town GREGORIOPOLI here, where the Tiber River used to bend before flowing into the sea

It was a strategically important position, which eventually led to the construction of the cylindrical tower of Martin V Colonna (1417/31)

In the years 1461/83 Cardinal William of Estouteville restored the walls and built the basilica and the new episcopal palace

Because of the flood of 1557 the port was moved to Fiumicino and the village was depopulated

In the eighties of the nineteenth century it was repopulated with farmers from Romagna, immigrants for the reclamation of this area by the coast

Castello di Giulio II

Castle of Julius II

Built in the years 1483/86 from a design by Baccio Pontelli (about 1450/92) and the participation of Giuliano Giamberti aka Giuliano da Sangallo (1445/1516) for Pope Sixtus IV della Rovere (1471/84) and Giuliano Della Rovere, the future Julius II Della Rovere (1503/13)

It is one of the first examples in the world of modern military architecture

Triangular plan around a trapezoidal courtyard


Decorated with grotesques and boxes with "Myth of Hercules" by Baldassare Peruzzi (1481/1536) with the help of Cesare da Sesto (1477/1523) and Michele Del Becca


S. Aurea

Church built on the remains of an ancient Roman basilica probably of the fourth century, where were buried S. Aurea (martyr of the third century) and S. Monica who died in Ostia in 387, the mother of St. Augustine

The present building dates back to the second half of the fifteenth century, maybe by Baccio Pontelli (about 1450/92)

Easter candle from the ancient basilica

Seventeenth-century paintings

Palazzo Episcopale

Episcopal Palace

About 1472, behind the church

On the first floor there are frescoes with "Battle scenes" in monochrome surrounded by a frieze 1508/13 by Baldassare Peruzzi (1481/1536) maybe with Domenico Beccafumi (1486/1551) for Cardinal Raffaele Riario

The cycle was rediscovered only in 1979

No comments:

Post a Comment