Saturday, November 7, 2020


Altitude 250 m (820 feet). 7,700 inhabitants

Medieval section elongated with the shape of a fishbone on a ridge and modern section developed towards the Via Flaminia with some industrial plant

It was a fief of the Colonna family who enlarged it and built the walls

It belonged for some time to the diocese of Porto that gave it the current name

Two springs of water are nearby: S. Antonio (St. Anthony) and another sulphuric-irony one by the Grotta Pagana (Pagana Grotto)

Palazzo Ducale

Ducal Palace

Sixteenth century, transformed in the seventeenth century with angular square towers

In a hall frescoes of the school of the Zuccari brothers

Collegiata di S. Maria Assunta

Collegiate Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Built on 1756 over the previous Romanesque church of which only the bell tower of the thirteenth century still stands

"Triptych" by Antonio Aquili aka Antoniazzo Romano (about 1435-40/1508)

"Its clients belong to the more moderate and conservative Roman society of the fifteenth century. Antoniazzo is the representative of the kind of religiosity of people living on the edge of the papal court, oblivious to Humanism and looking for a convergence between classical culture and Christian thought" (Anna Cavallaro)

"Deposition" of the Carracci school

No comments:

Post a Comment