Thursday, November 12, 2020


Altitude 241 m (790 feet). 4,900 abitanti

It is set on a tufa terrace between two valleys crossed by the arches of the Aqua Claudia aqueduct

According to tradition it was founded by St. Gallicanus consul at the time of Constantine (306/337) and martyred in Alexandria

The city was maybe built in the tenth century AD in the area of ​​the Latin city of Pedum conquered by Rome before Coriolanus by the beginning of the fifth century BC and then finally in 338 BC

It was under the rule of the Colonna family

Baronial Palace

Built over the ancient Castle of the Colonna family, of which there are only two towers left, having been destroyed in 1526 by the papal troops

Today it houses the LIBRARY and the HISTORICAL ARCHIVES

S. Rocco

St. Roch

1628 for a vow made because, since the beginning of the seventeenth century, the plague struck all of the land south east of Rome except for Gallicano

The local people convinced that St. Roch had protected them from that scourge, decided to build a church in his honor

Cappella di S. Maria di Cavamonte

Chapel of St. Mary of Cavamonte

Near the junction to Zagarolo, amongst impressive walls of tufa

Nearby it is possible to see the ruins of the Ponte del Fico (Bridge of the Fig-Tree), of the age of Sulla (88/80 BC), built with a single arch

A little further on there are the remains of Ponte Amato (The Beloved Bridge), a Roman bridge built for the ancient Via Prenestina

No comments:

Post a Comment