Monday, November 16, 2020


Altitude 40 m (131 feet). 3,000 inhabitants

Farming village around the Falconieri Castle

In the area were found amygdalas, almond-shaped tools used by hunters in the Lower Paleolithic (between 2,500,000 and 120,000 years ago) made of hard rock and more rarely bone by chipping on both sides

Castello Falconieri

Falconieri Castle

Known since 1254 as a possession of the Norman family Alberteschi. It later passed into the hands of the Anguillara, the Massimo, and the Peretti families

In early 1600s, the Prince Michele Peretti, nephew of Sixtus V, built a new, large and luxurious mansion, sold in 1639 to the Falconieri family who had the staircase leading to the main floor built and commissioned the church to Ferdinando Fuga (1699/1782)

In the second half of 1800s, the Falconieri family line ended and the castle had a period of decline, until 1926 when it became the property of Senator Luigi Albertini who, with his son Leonardo and his son-in-law Nicolò Carandini, engaged in a massive reclamation work of the farm and in the restoration of the castle, the church and the surrounding village

Interior decorations for the Jubilee of 1725, including the main floor "Visit to the castle of Pope Benedict XIII Orsini (1724/30)" by Pier Leone Ghezzi (1674/1755) for Alessandro Falconieri

S. Antonio

St. Anthony

First half of the eighteenth century by Ferdinando Fuga

Octagonal layout

Frescoes "St. Anthony hermit" by Pier Leone Ghezzi (1674/1755) and "Crucifix and the blessed of the Falconieri house " of his school

No comments:

Post a Comment