Saturday, November 7, 2020


Altitude 185 m (610 feet). 17,000 inhabitants

The origin of the name is uncertain: maybe Anguillara derives from the Villa Angularia which was built for the noble Roman lady Rutilia Polla on a rocky corner of the coast and Sabazia (added in the nineteenth century) derives from the Latin name of the lake, Sabatinus

It used to be a fief of the Anguillara family who lost it in 1488 when it passed to the Orsini family

The entrance to the village is through a SIXTEENTH CENTURY DOOR about 5 m (16 feet) thick

Orsini Castle

Fifteenth century. It includes the MUSEO STORICO DELLA CIVILTÀ CONTADINA E DELLA CULTURA POPOLARE (historical museum of rural and popular culture) "Augusto Montori" opened in 1992:

Three rooms with hundreds of tools for agriculture, herding, fishing and domestic objects from the early 1900s

Baronial Palace

First half of the sixteenth century, formerly Palazzo Orsini, now Town Hall

"Frescoes" dating back to the years 1535/49 including a rare representation of Naples before it was enlarged and perhaps the only representation of the "Battle of the Schooner" that led to the conquest of Tunis in which the commissioner of the painting, Gentil Virginio Orsini, fought alongside Carlo V

Collegiata dell’Assunta

Collegiate Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Eighteenth century. At the end of the right nave "Virgin Mary of the Large Fortress" fourteenth century and repainted in later periods

MAIN ALTAR "Assumption of Mary" by Girolamo Muziano (1532/92)

Neolithic Village

In "The Marmot" district in the nineties the oldest Neolithic village (introduction of agriculture, use of clay and ceramics) in Europe (5750/5260 BC) was found on the bottom of the lake

This village is about 1,000 years older than any other Neolithic village ever found

Even a canoe was found dating back to nearly 8,000 years ago, now on display at the Pigorini Museum in Rome

Chiesa di S. Francesco

Church of St. Francis

Outside Anguillara, near the train station

Fifteenth century. Frescoes dating back to the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, including a "Madonna and Child with Two Angels"

Plant of the Acqua Claudia

Outside Anguillara

Mediomineral water indicated for gastrointestinal and metabolic diseases

Nearby there are remains of Roman buildings of the imperial period, including a grand ROMAN VILLA of the second half of the first century BC. The façade of the villa was a broad semicircular exedra decorated with fountains

“Muracci” or Walls of St. Stephen

On the way to the Crocicchie train station

Grandiose ruins of a Roman Villa with brick structures of the second century BC adapted in the eighth century, or even before, as the church and convent of St. Stephen, later suppressed by Pius V Ghislieri (1566/72)

Air Force Museum of Vigna di Valle

Opened in 1977

Three hangars of 11,000 m² (2.7 acres) with original aircraft and prototypes from the period of the first flights to the present day

No comments:

Post a Comment